Sunday, May 12, 2013

Speech Self Evaluation

Well, my speech is done. I reviewed it and now realize I'm a big goof. I can put it in perspective though as I had small children in my audience who are easily distracted and can answer the questions asked in a speech. Even when no response is called for, so let's just say I spoke to my audience. With that in mind, I made good eye contact with my audience members. I used some gestures, perhaps to many, and I was moving around to much. I looked a bit nervous. I had good vocal variety and few extended pauses. I probably should have remembered to breathe a bit more throughout the speech, to just relax. 

As to research on my topic, I feel I used very credible sources even though all were from online sources. I did my best to cite those sources both in the final outline and verbally throughout the speech. I did miss a few of the oral citations during the speech. A point for improvement. My organization of my speech was good, topical with a cross of chronological touches toward the end.

I did rehearse the speech over the past few days but to much rehearsal isn't good either. As I stated earlier, I appeared nervous while giving the speech. I think I was worried that I could not hold the attention of the kids. It felt like I dumbed down my speech and told it more like a story than a speech given to a more adult audience. Even though the kids were well behaved during the entire speech. If I had to do it over again, perhaps an older audience, a bit more practice and some relaxation exercises before giving the speech. Then I would feel better about the end result. All I can truly say is I did my best, and it is what it is.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Stacy,

    I will take into consideration who your audience was when grading your speech.

    Done! WHEW!

    Cheers!

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete