Saturday, April 27, 2013

Speakers: Effective vs Ineffective

The most effective speaker I ever heard was a man who supported something called an ESOP. An ESOP stands for Employee Stock Ownership Plan. I was invited to represent my former employer at the National ESOP Convention in Washington D.C. While at the convention is where I heard this man speak. I don't remember his name but I do remember the title of his speech. It was called The Power of One. I was riveted to this man. He was charming, made good eye contact, didn't rush his delivery and was funny. He made me feel like I made the difference. The choices I made each and every day could help my company make more money. I had all the power. He was wonderful and well worth whatever salary he charged.

On the other hand, the most ineffective speakers seem to be those I currently go to school with. The problem here is nerves. If students could just take a breathe and relax, they would be much better at delivering their presentations. They also tend to avoid eye contact, repeat themselves or the same phrases and say "um" a lot. This is not to say, I am perfect, far from it. Perhaps, I have had more practice at giving speeches or doing presentations. I still get nervous but we are all in the same boat, doing the same thing and hoping all goes well. Just remember to breathe, relax and have fun. Good luck to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment