Sunday, February 17, 2013

Language

This week I had trouble making a decision as to which article to read, so I read three of them.
  1. The Truth About Change
  2. Language & Society
  3. Wired Words
As I read each article, they began to touch on the same observations. Since studying foreign languages in the past, I found this very interesting. I like language and the use of words. For instance, the use of the plural--mouses--to reference the computer accessory. I still use mice when speaking of them but from the article this is no longer the norm. Technology has changed how we use our words. It has changed the actual words and created new ones for us to use. They also talked of the way our language spreads as it changes. I was surprised that middle-class groups are the group that innovate change and women among them lead the charge for change. Talk about empowerment.

One thing I hadn't heard of before was something called the Northern Cities Vowel Shift, truthfully I'm still not sure I understand what it is. I will have to do some more reading on the matter. I also learned that there are three types of language spread: the cascade, the contra-hierarchical, and finally the wave. The spread can occur faster or slower depending on our society. Languages can make us feel part of a group or perhaps superior to one another. Right or wrong, language plays apart of the world around us. I want to know more about how our choice of words limit our progress in daily life, work and the world. Do we as Americans have less power on the world stage because we no longer use proper grammar? We don't know how to effectively speak and use language? Do we really say anything at all, anymore?

I hope that after reading these three articles I will just be more aware of my choices. Maybe I'll take an extra breath before I speak. As to where or how I might use this new knowledge, that remains to be determined. Where, might be a future job after I'm done with school. It could be in the next five minutes, on the phone with my friend. The point is to learn more about myself, my choices, the world in which I live, and then apply the knowledge. I'm sure going to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment