Sunday, February 10, 2013

Perception

A stereotype is for me, a general thought or perception of a group not based on the differences within each individual of the group. For the most part, I would be stereotyped as a fat lazy chick, with no brains, that eats everything in sight, is fun at parties and can't get a job--the female version of Bluto in Animal House.

The fat part is true, I am a woman of size, and I am fun a parties when I choose to be. I really don't enjoy going to parties, I am a homebody. I enjoy my leisure time by doing absolutely nothing, some of the time, if in your mind that makes me lazy, then I'm okay with that. What is untrue is that I eat everything in sight, I'm actually quite picky and on a slightly restricted diet. Brains, I have quite a lot of them, I don't always use them to my full ability but that is my choice. I play word games and my favorite game show is Jeopardy, I'm pretty good at it too. Finally, it is true that I am currently unemployment, after almost 19 years at the same company, I was downsized by our current economy. Do I want a job, absolutely. Could I find a job, NO. Which I why I chose to go back to school, to increase my skill set and make myself more attractive in the job markets of today.

When we communicate with our friends, family, co-workers, and even strangers, somewhere in the grand scheme, a stereotype was used. It becomes harmful when we choose to use only the stereotype to make judgments, form questions, answer questions, and in general, hold a conversation. If we use a stereotype as a helpful starting point, the place where we start to find out the truth about a friend, family member, a co-worker or a stranger, it becomes a living thing meant to be adapted as we learn more about the people we surround ourselves with. It isn't just black or white, right or wrong but somewhere in the middle. If we could all be more open-minded about each other, would the world be a better place to live? Would we be more curious about each other? Would we be less afraid to talk to one another? Could we change our perceptions of those around us? Could we change ourselves and our beliefs? Some food for thought, lets think and talk about it.



No comments:

Post a Comment