Sunday, March 24, 2013

My Generation.........X

From this....
I am a member of Generation X, who knew? I was born in the late sixties after the Beatles invasion and the moon shot. The Vietnam War ended, Watergate happened, Reagan was elected, drugs exploded onto the scene and a new disease called AIDS arrived. Some other events were the Challenger explosion, Chernobyl disaster, 1984 LA Olympics and eventually the end of the Cold War. There were bombings in the Middle East, a classmate's brother was stationed at the barracks in Beirut during one. She was so worried, the family could not get in touch with him, this was before cell phones. Scary times. I also remember where I was when the Challenger tragedy happened. I had just finished biology class and had walked into the common area of my dorm to see it happen live on the TV. Shock is a total understatement as to what I saw and how I felt. It was like a bad dream on a sunny day. I will never forget it.
to this in 73 seconds.


My generation is said to be very informal in style. We have a "what's in it for me" attitude. We are considered to have an identity crisis, we aren't sure where we fit in. Where do we belong? We are the first to grow up with the developing digital age. We grew up with more divorce and just more of everything. We also are very adaptable and independent. We strive for a balance between work and play. This characteristic I totally agree with, I feel my generation does try to balance all aspects of life: work, play, family, friends, love and loss. I don’t know if I agree with the fact that we are much more informal. Perhaps that is because I’m closer to the beginning than the end of this group. I grew up taught to respect and honor my elders. Please and thank you, as well as yes sir and no ma’am, were expected. As a girl, I was seen and not heard for the most part. I grew out of that pretty fast. I bumped heads with my mother on many occasions, but that could be because I was and still am a daddy’s girl.

We may be the lost generation but with all we have seen and done, the future is bright.

No comments:

Post a Comment